University and Careers Counsellor
2330 Cypress Bowl Lane
West Vancouver, BC V7S 3H9
Mulgrave is one of Canada’s leading independent co-educational pre-K – 12 day schools, serving the North Shore of Vancouver. We are an established IB Continuum World School with a reputation for excellence and innovation. We are seeking an experienced University Counsellor to start in August 2021.
Working alongside two other university & careers counsellors and the Upper School Leadership Teams, this role provides careers education and university guidance to students in the Upper School (grades 8-12) to enable them to make informed decisions about post-secondary education and careers, and acquire the necessary skills to successfully manage their university applications.
The role involves working with the Director of University Counselling, teachers, advisors, and other colleagues to continuously refine and improve the delivery of university and careers preparation, information and guidance throughout the Upper School. The role also involves partnering with parents to help them better understand the process in order to more effectively support their children.
- Plan and deliver a progressive programme of careers and post-secondary education and individual guidance for students and families in the Upper School
- Work closely with teachers and advisors in the Upper School to ensure that all students benefit from a well-designed programme of general and individual careers and higher education guidance
- Plan a strategy for “well in time” information on higher education guidance with good information and communication strategies of advice to teachers, students and parents (including, when relevant, interested Junior School parents)
- Oversee the university applications process for a group of students, including assuring the quality of all application materials and references
- Help to manage the Careers and Post-Secondary Education Centre
- Develop and maintain expertise and connections through conference attendance, campus visits, professional development opportunities, international university tours etc.
- Collaborate in facilitating and leading careers and higher education group sessions, workshops and presentations to parents and other stakeholders, including some events taking place outside of school hours
- Build relationships and maintain consistent communication with representatives of colleges and universities in Canada, the US, and overseas (focus may depend on prior experience)
- Assist in the maintenance and development of appropriate online and print guidance materials and resources for students
- Maintain accurate records on higher education applications and final destinations of all school leavers
- Support students with personal statement and essay writing and post-secondary scholarship applications
- Contribute, with the rest of the University Counseling team, to raise the profile of the department with the parent body (Junior and Upper School) and within the wider community
- Provide specialist counselling for applicants to specialized and/or highly selective programmes
- Counsel students on gap year options
- Share responsibility for coordinating PSAT testing for Grade 10 students
- Advise on course selection for Grade 9 & 10 students and parents
- Participate in developing the school’s internship scheme and links with local businesses to provide students with real-world opportunities to extend and apply their learning
All Mulgrave faculty are expected to:
- Develop a learning environment that builds positive relationships and fosters an ethic of care
- Identify and select resources and methods to meet students' varying needs
- Use relevant technology to enhance instruction and learning
- Maintain accurate and complete records of students' progress
- Participate in faculty and parent meetings and special events
- Model respectful and timely communication with students, colleagues and parents
- Attend professional development workshops as required by the school
- Endorse the school’s mission and values
- Hold or be willing to obtain an age appropriate First Aid Certificate
The ideal candidate will have:
- A thorough understanding of International Baccalaureate programmes, and particularly the Diploma and its implications for higher education
- Deep understanding of college placement testing (PSAT, SAT, ACT, TOEFL)
- Broad and current knowledge of the higher education landscape in North America and the UK
- Familiarity with higher education application processes and systems (such as Common Application, UCAS)
- An understanding of information technology systems that support higher education guidance
- Excellent communication skills in spoken and written English
- Well-developed interpersonal and intercultural skills
- An ability to motivate and inspire colleagues, parents and students
- Excellent presentation and group facilitation skills
- A commitment to develop professionally and keep up to date with developments in higher education and careers guidance
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Strong organisational and administrative skills
- The ability to establish rapport and build trusting relationships with students, parents and colleagues
- A minimum of 5 years of professional experience as a university and/or careers counselor OR relevant experience in a selective university or college admissions office
- A minimum of a Bachelor's degree
- Masters degree in a relevant subject area
- Valid certification to teach British Columbia
The salary range for this position will be $85,000 to $100,000 based on skills and experience. This position will also include health & dental benefits, tuition discount at Mulgrave and RRSP contribution. Applicants should either be Canadian and a provincially certified teacher or be prepared, with our support, to go through the process of applying for the appropriate visa and permissions from the Canadian and BC authorities prior to commencement.
Please see our website for further information about our school and a detailed job description at www.mulgrave.com.
Your resume and covering letter should be submitted to https://mulgrave.bamboohr.co.uk/jobs/ by April 9, 2021. Interviews for this position will be ongoing.
We thank all interested parties. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.