Middle School Counsellor
Mulgrave is one of Canada’s leading independent co-educational pre-K – 12 day schools, serving the North Shore of Vancouver. We are an established IB Continuum World School with a reputation for excellence and innovation. We are now seeking applicants for the role of Middle School Counsellor to start in August 2021.
The successful candidate will join a three-person schoolwide counselling team. While the candidate will work collaboratively to support the general needs across the four divisions (Early Years, Junior School, Middle School, and Senior School) of our PK-12 school, they will have direct responsibility for supporting our Middle School (grade 6-9) students’ needs.
We are looking for a dynamic and relationship-oriented individual who has a passion and experience working with middle school students.
The appointee will provide class-based instruction, and one-to-one and small group counselling for students, in order to support their social and emotional well-being and the development of executive functioning skills.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Including but not limited to the following:
- Provide individual, group and some family counselling, including crisis intervention
- Plan collaboratively with students, their families, teachers, administrators, and community agency personnel to develop effective strategies to promote the educational, social, emotional and career development of students
- Provide a continuum of preventive, developmental, remedial and intervention services and programs within the school environment
- Provide in-service training and support to colleagues in the area of youth mental health and child abuse prevention
- Prepare and/or assist with reports to the Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD)
- Advance students’ educational achievement through executive functioning skill development and goal setting, assisting with the development of students’ learning plans as well as activities that promote effective work and study habits
- Present instructional/informational programs to groups of students, parents and teachers.
- Adhere to the ethical standards of the counselling profession and practice in accordance with federal, provincial, and local laws, statutes, and/or policies that relate to students and families, including child protection/child abuse, special education, attendance, education rights and privacy
- Use appropriate assessment and diagnostic procedures for determining and structuring individual and group counselling services
- Provide appropriate referrals to other support services and community resources.
- Be available outside the normal school day to respond to emergencies and critical incidents
- Must be a Canadian resident and legally entitled to work in Canada
- Master’s degree in school counselling and/or counselling psychology.
- Minimum 5 years of Counselling experience in an educational setting and experience working with children and young adults.
Preferred Experience and Qualities:
- Experience counselling in a school-based setting
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Strong organisational, communication, administrative and interpersonal skills
- Successful experience working in a diverse, multicultural environment
- Demonstrated experience in facilitation of large group instructional and/or informational sessions
Please visit our website at www.mulgrave.com for further information about our School and detailed job description.
Resumes should be submitted through https://mulgrave.bamboohr.co.uk/jobs/ by April 25, 2021. Given the location of the school, applicants must provide their own transportation.
We thank all interested parties. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.