MYP Performing Arts Teacher
Temporary, Full-time (Maternity Leave)
Mulgrave is one of Canada’s leading independent co-educational pre-K – 12 day schools, serving the North Shore of Vancouver. We are an established IB Continuum World School with a reputation for excellence and innovation. We are now seeking applicants for the role of MYP Performing Arts Teacher to start in August 2021.
We are looking for a well-qualified and experienced Theatre/Performing Arts teacher to be a key member of our Performing Arts team. This individual will play a part in the further development of the performing arts (G6-10) curriculum, and will run/help to run school and divisional curricular and co-curricular theatre productions.
Duties and Responsibilities
Including but not limited to the following:
- To team teach the IB MYP Performing Arts course with other performing arts teachers.
- Teach theatre related courses in the Middle School elective programme
- Plan, direct, produce a Middle School co-curricular production which engages and inspires students and cultivates a strong sense of community.
- To be responsible for developing a vibrant theatre programme based on the public performance of curricular and co-curricular work in the middle school.
- Create a supportive learning environment for students that incorporates technology, and encourages inquiry.
- Utilize a variety of effective teaching, classroom management and assessment practices in support of student achievement.
- Experience and knowledge of many theatre genres, including practitioners and styles from around the world.
- Document students’ performance, providing feedback and advice outside of class, practice and rehearsal times.
- Maintain effective communication with parents, colleagues, students and various school leaders.
Ideal Qualities of the person that we are looking for:
- An ability to connect with, and inspire students to outstanding levels of achievement and performance, in theatre, drama and the performing arts.
- A deep understanding of, and passion for, drama, along with some technical expertise.
- A grounding in academic Drama/Theatre theory in order to deliver the IB Theatre curriculum.
- Current experience of the IB MYP program and a commitment to the IB philosophy.
- A team player who can relate well to colleagues and inspire other adults in our community to get involved in the theatre programme.
- An ability to combine the performing arts disciplines to create unique integrated performing arts experiences.
- An ability to manage the time demands of an extensive performance and rehearsal schedule.
- Ideally connections with international theatre associations such as ISTA would be helpful.
- You must be a trained teacher with a bachelor’s degree, with eligibility to teach in British Columbia and live in Canada.
- Canadian residency or be legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Valid BC teaching certificate.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Education with a specialization or focus in theatre.
- Knowledge and understanding of the International Baccalaureate programmes.
- Experience teaching in a technology-rich environment.
- Fluent communication skills in English, both oral and written.
- Strong organisational and time management skills.
- The ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team.
- A warm, caring professional demeanor and strong interpersonal skills.
Please visit our website at www.mulgrave.com for further information about our School and detailed job description.
Resumes should be submitted through https://mulgrave.bamboohr.co.uk/jobs/ by March 7, 2021. Given the location of the school, applicants must provide their own transportation.
We thank all interested parties. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.